Moving into a new house can be an exciting and overwhelming experience. Whether you’re a first-time homebuyer or a seasoned mover, there are always plenty of things to remember and tasks to complete before and after you move. One way to stay organized and on top of everything is to create a moving checklist.
In fact, according to the United States Census Bureau, an estimated 1,010,923 Americans moved between 2021 and 2022. With so many people moving each year, it’s no wonder that checklists have become essential for ensuring everything gets done on time and nothing falls through the cracks.
In this blog, we’ll explore the benefits of using checklists when moving into a new house, what items to include on your list, and tips for staying on track throughout the moving process.
1) Consider Self-Storage Facility
You might not have enough space in your new home for everything you own or need to store your items temporarily while you get settled in. In either case, renting a self-storage unit can be an excellent solution.
A self-storage unit is a space you can rent to store your belongings. These units are available in various sizes, so you can choose one appropriate for your needs. You can store anything from furniture and appliances to clothing and household items.
When considering renting storage units, choose a trusted company such as StrongPoint Self Storage that operates in several US states, including Tennessee, Arkansas, and Louisiana. They offer modern, climate-controlled facilities that maintain a consistent temperature and humidity level, ensuring your items stay in good condition.
2) Create an Emergency Response Plan
Having an emergency response plan can prepare you for any unexpected situation and take quick action to protect yourself and your loved ones.
- Identify potential hazards such as natural disasters, fire, or break-ins, and assess their associated risks.
- Develop a plan that includes evacuation routes, emergency contacts, and essential supplies such as food, water, and first aid kits.
- Make sure all family members are aware of the plan and know what to do in case of an emergency.
- Stay informed about local emergency services and their contact information.
3) Change Your Address
Change your address to ensure that you receive all your mail and bills at the correct location. You can do this by notifying the United States Postal Service (USPS) of your new address online or by filling out a Change of Address form at your local post office. It is also important to update your address with any organizations or companies you have a relationship with, such as your bank, employer, and insurance provider.
4) Schedule Utility Turn-On
One important task to check off your list is ensuring all necessary utilities are turned on and functioning properly. It is crucial to schedule the turn-on of electricity, gas, water, and other utilities in advance, ideally a few days before your move-in date. This will allow time for any necessary repairs or installations to be completed before you arrive, ensuring a smooth transition into your new home.
5) Inspect the Property
Inspecting a property thoroughly before moving into a new house is crucial to ensure it is safe, functional, and meets your expectations. Start by checking the property’s exterior for any signs of damage, such as cracks in the walls or roof. Then, move inside and scrutinize each room, paying attention to the condition of the windows and doors. Also, check for any leaks, mold, or other signs of water damage. Finally, note any repairs or upgrades that may be needed and discuss them with the landlord or property manager before moving in.
6) Install New Locks
Consider upgrading to high-security locks that are more difficult to pick or break. Installing new locks will give you peace of mind knowing that you are the only one with access to your home. You may also consider installing deadbolts on all exterior doors for added protection. Don’t forget to change the garage door code or replace the keypad if there is one.
7) Set Up Internet and Cable
You should consider the below steps when it comes to setting up internet and cable services:
- Research available providers in your area and compare their prices and packages.
- Schedule an installation appointment that works for you.
- Ensure all necessary equipment, such as modems and routers, are included in the package or purchased separately beforehand.
- Before the installation date, ensure all necessary information is ready, such as the location of outlets and wiring in the house.
- On the installation day, be prepared to be home and available for any necessary communication with the technician to ensure a smooth setup process.
8) Plan the Layout
By planning the layout, you can create a comfortable and functional living space that meets your needs and lets you easily settle into your new home.
- Start by considering the functions of each room and how you will use them.
- Consider the furniture you will bring with you and where it will fit best, considering factors such as traffic flow, natural light, and room size.
- Measure each room and create a floor plan, marking where each piece of furniture will go. This will help you identify any potential issues with spacing and make adjustments as needed.
- Finally, set up the essential rooms first, such as the bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen.
9) Make an Unpacking Plan
With a solid unpacking plan, settling into your new home will be a breeze. You can take the below steps to save time, effort, and stress:
- Declutter and remove any items you don’t need or use anymore.
- Create a list of essential items you will need immediately after moving in, such as toiletries, bedding, and basic kitchen supplies.
- Label all your boxes according to the rooms they belong to, and prioritize them based on urgency.
- Start with the essentials and move on to less important items later.
Creating a checklist before moving into a new house is essential to ensure a smooth and stress-free transition. The checklist helps to organize and prioritize tasks, from packing and decluttering to arranging utilities and forwarding mail.
By carefully planning and following a detailed checklist, individuals and families can avoid common pitfalls and delays, save time and money, and start enjoying their new home sooner. It’s important to review the checklist regularly and make adjustments as needed to ensure that everything is on track and nothing is overlooked. Ultimately, a well-planned and executed move can set the stage for a successful and satisfying new chapter in life.