Is Installing a Farmhouse Sink Expensive? The Answer Is Here!
A farmhouse sink (sometimes also referred to as an apron sink, a farmer’s sink, or an apron front sink) is an amazing decorative element for your kitchen. Basically, it is a wide and deep basin sink that does not have any corner rims protruding from it. There are no pre-drilled holes for accessory and faucet applications because they would have to be made directly in the countertop.
The most distinctive aspect of an apron sink is a finished front that stays visible after mounting it, and that is what this name stems from. Such a solution was developed in the 17th century when the water access was not that obvious, and people needed to store and conserve it properly and make sure it will be used to the last drop.
If you are planning to redecorate your kitchen, that is one of the options that are worth considering. However, you may wonder if installing such a decoration is expensive, and does it prove to be useful apart from looking good. For this reason, we have prepared a short farmhouse sink guide. Keep on reading!
The Advantages of a Farmhouse Sink
A farmhouse sink combines a lot of advantages that you should know about while considering the purchase. Below you can find a few perks that are definitely worth mentioning!
It is really convenient to wash the dishes in such a spacious sink. You probably know how problematic it is to wash a huge wok or a massive pot – you need to do it from different angles, with the water splashing all around. After installing an apron sink, washing such pieces of cookware will no longer be that difficult. It is not only wide and deep, but it is also usually not divided into two separate compartments.
You may not be aware of that, but your sink’s style and size influence the condition of your posture. People tend to bend over the countertop while doing the dishes, and it can be very harmful to their back. In a farmhouse sink, there is no such element, so your back is less strained, and you are more likely to keep the right posture.
Thanks to a farmhouse sink, you can improve your kitchen’s visual appearance to a large extent. It provides the whole interior with a vintage, rustic look, and makes it more original. Such a solution tends to be very fashionable nowadays, so if you like to be up-to-date with the latest interior trends, you should definitely consider buying a farmhouse sink!
The Cost of a Farmhouse Sink
There are numerous kinds of farmhouse sinks available on the market. Their prices may vary due to the size, quality, techniques, and materials being used. You can find the estimated rates of different models below:
- Composite granite farmhouse sink – costs between $220 and $2,000, depending on the apron design, the composite quality, the configuration, the finish, and possible accessories.
- Copper farmhouse sink – prices usually start with $725 and can reach $2,000, and are strongly influenced by the metalwork design features, the configuration, the gauge of the copper, the finish, and available accessories.
- Stainless steel farmhouse sink – it can cost only $220, but sometimes also reaches the price of over $2,000, similar to the composite granite model. The primary factors influencing the cost are the accessories, the finish, and the gauge of the stainless steel.
- Cast iron farmhouse sink – this kind of product may be purchased at $650, but sometimes can be found with a price exceeding $1,600 as well. It depends mostly on the sink configuration, accessories, and the enamel coating standard.
- Fireclay or porcelain farmhouse sink – the cost of such a variant usually starts with $500, but it is also not that rare to find models priced $2,500 or higher. In this case, the glaze quality, accessories, and configuration are taken into account.
The Bottom Line
As you can see, the prices of an apron sink can vary depending on many factors, so you can easily find a model that will be suitable for your financial capabilities. If you are on a budget, you can go for stainless steel or composite granite model, and if you do not mind spending some more money on a very sophisticated sink, you can order a cast iron or copper one.
It is a good value for money because it combines both practical and decorative functions. You can comfortably wash the dishes there, even if they are the biggest elements of your cookware, and you will not harm your back by unconsciously bending over the countertop. What is more, your kitchen will be enriched with a vintage style that can create a unique atmosphere. It is definitely interesting to have something that has been used in households for over four hundred years already. Start browsing the available farmhouse sinks, and you will see how many options you have!